As Mother's Day approaches, I can't help but think about how this will be my 1st time to be "celebrated" on this day. A little selfish of me, I know. (ok, more than a little). ;) With it being more personal after carrying a child, giving birth and taking care of a little one, it's much easier to ponder on such an upcoming holiday. I've always had my mom to think of in May, but now it's a little different being a mommy myself.
I remember how I'd make things in elementary school for my mom for Mother's Day and how I now look forward to seeing my own children's artwork one day. One memory in particular that sticks out to me-- I was in Kindergarten and we had a special lunch planned for our Mommies. We made placemats with our pictures, a special picture frame, and painted flower pots to give to our moms. I didn't think my mom would be able to come to the lunch because of work, but she came! I was able to serve her lunch and give the gifts to her before I got home! I was so excited. :)
I read another blog post this morning through the Mother Letters fb page and it really challenged my thinking on the subject of motherhood. You should check out the blog post. *Be forewarned, it's a tear-jerker.*
After reading this post, I began thinking about all those Moms out there who aren't recognized for their hard work. Whether it be the moms who had to give up a child for adoption, the moms who lost a child (whether in childbirth, miscarriage, abortion, abduction, suicide, etc.), the women who desire to become a mommy and can't, those moms waiting for the opportunity to foster or adopt, and the list goes on. Now, I say all this about the moms, but there are dads who go through such agony as well. I'm just focusing on the moms in light of Mother's Day.
I feel challenged to think more about the moms who are never given a break or some sort of "gift" of appreciation. I hope to find more ways to serve them, especially when I'm feeling selfish, exhausted or worn down as a parent. I know I miss the mark on this day after day, but I plan to be more mindful of others. Only I can make the choice to follow through.
If you read the blog post about remembering her, I challenge you to check out Bloggers for Birth Kits (it's an organization that this particular blogger has carried out). It's a way to give back to those who aren't fortunate enough to receive the medical attention most of us are accustomed to here in the U.S.
Thanks for reading. Have a happy Thursday! It's almost Friday!!!
I remember how I'd make things in elementary school for my mom for Mother's Day and how I now look forward to seeing my own children's artwork one day. One memory in particular that sticks out to me-- I was in Kindergarten and we had a special lunch planned for our Mommies. We made placemats with our pictures, a special picture frame, and painted flower pots to give to our moms. I didn't think my mom would be able to come to the lunch because of work, but she came! I was able to serve her lunch and give the gifts to her before I got home! I was so excited. :)
I read another blog post this morning through the Mother Letters fb page and it really challenged my thinking on the subject of motherhood. You should check out the blog post. *Be forewarned, it's a tear-jerker.*
After reading this post, I began thinking about all those Moms out there who aren't recognized for their hard work. Whether it be the moms who had to give up a child for adoption, the moms who lost a child (whether in childbirth, miscarriage, abortion, abduction, suicide, etc.), the women who desire to become a mommy and can't, those moms waiting for the opportunity to foster or adopt, and the list goes on. Now, I say all this about the moms, but there are dads who go through such agony as well. I'm just focusing on the moms in light of Mother's Day.
I feel challenged to think more about the moms who are never given a break or some sort of "gift" of appreciation. I hope to find more ways to serve them, especially when I'm feeling selfish, exhausted or worn down as a parent. I know I miss the mark on this day after day, but I plan to be more mindful of others. Only I can make the choice to follow through.
If you read the blog post about remembering her, I challenge you to check out Bloggers for Birth Kits (it's an organization that this particular blogger has carried out). It's a way to give back to those who aren't fortunate enough to receive the medical attention most of us are accustomed to here in the U.S.
Thanks for reading. Have a happy Thursday! It's almost Friday!!!
Comments
Post a Comment