Skip to main content

Finding Joy Amidst Feeling Blue

Feeling a little blue today- kind of lonely, missing friends and family. I thought it would be a good idea to look back on times that were difficult that brought me where I am today. All in an effort to praise God joyfully despite the way I'm feeling today. Pregnancy emotions starting to hit more often these days. I cried after seeing a proposal on the news this morning, I've cried thinking about how scared I am to give birth, I've cried after listening to a song by Matt Hammitt about his son. Sheesh! :) 


 Since the day I quit my job at the Village, I have been on a journey to get back to "my self." I don't remember at what moment I began to spiral downward, but I do know it was at some point during our first year of marriage (also the year I began working at the Village). All of my "monsters" came to the surface- jealousy, uncertainty, extra sensitivity, etc. and I wasn't very good about dealing with these ugly things.  


I remember there was one blow after another while working at the Village. What started as my desire to be an example to teens, eventually became a nightmare. I dreaded each day I had to go into work, but realized I was lucky to even have a job and a job where I could make use of my degree. I knew despite how miserable I was at times, God was still making use of me in this place. My prayer was (and still is) that at least one person I worked with benefited positively from my time spent serving at the Village. 


This work place became more and more dangerous as I stayed the course. However, Brent and I knew we wanted to begin trying to get pregnant. The problem- I was extremely stressed at work and I feared the many things that could have happened had we gotten pregnant while I still worked there. God's hand has been in our midst throughout the course that eventually led us where we are today. Brent's many sacrifices over the years-for me, for the sake of our family, for the sake of our daughter, for the sake of me having an opportunity to stay home with our children one day, and I could keep going. He has endured complete exhaustion as he worked four jobs before starting grad school, completed grad school while working full time, and remained a husband I could count on in the midst of a time in need. 


I began my new job at the tanning salon in September last year. From there I began remembering how nice it was to feel utter joy. I was laughing more often and despite the fact it wasn't necessarily the job I wanted, it was a stepping stone in our lives. I was able to relax and enjoy the time I had around people. Even though I worked late nights, Brent and I were able to work through the difficulties that came with that responsibility. At the end of October, we found out we were pregnant. Not too long after we found out God was blessing our family with a baby, we found out Brent had a job offer. Now we live in Memphis and have a baby girl due next month. 


I have had so much fun with my husband in this period of our lives. There are times Brent will mention it's been a while since he's heard me laugh the way I do. I tell him it's because I am truly happy. There are times it's more difficult than others, but all in all I have my God, my man, and my baby girl with me. I get to teach Ella all about Jesus and how much He loves her, all about high heels, all about how hysterical her Daddy is, and I get to teach her all about life alongside Brent. :) How great is our God.


From David's song of praise -Psalm 30:11-12


You turned my wailing into dancing; 
   you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, 
12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. 
   LORD my God, I will praise you forever.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tales of a Dysfunctional Gallbladder

A year ago, I was at Piedmont Fayette Hospital, recovering from surgery. I want to record these events as a reminder of why it is important for me to take care of my body, and hopefully help someone else realize the same before their own health issues become a problem. The new year had just begun, and I'd gone out for coffee earlier in the evening. I'd received some unexpected news, and went to bed not too long after returning home. Soon after getting in bed, I suddenly couldn't get comfortable. I was having pains in my back and right side that were worse than labor pains. This very thing had happened a few times before, but it usually subsided the next morning on those previous occasions. I went downstairs to the couch in an effort to avoid waking everyone. I didn't get any sleep, and I spent much of the night in the bathroom, either getting sick or trying to relieve my pain. I was still in tears once Brent and the kids woke up the next morning. I explained to Brent ...

A Year of Unexpected Surprises

In looking back on this year, I've dubbed it as the year of unexpected surprises. Some of these surprises have been good, others weren't, while still others were somewhere between. I've intended to write down and process each of these, but I haven't gotten around to it. I will start here with the most recent unexpected surprise. My second-born started Kindergarten this year, so I now have two in school! We've had to adjust to a new schedule as there are a couple more subjects in 1st Grade, and then simply adding another child into the schooling mix is a big change! Add in the new and frequent sibling fighting, and it has been a challenge in starting this new year. I *think* we've finally found some sort of a groove and schedule, but time will really tell. Recently, Owen's Kindergarten teacher stepped down as his teacher in order to take on a different job. As a result, the kindergartners are now in the 1st Grade classroom with Ella's class and teache...

More News on Knox

For those of you who have been praying and keeping up with any news about Knox, we have an update. We had another ultrasound last Friday, May 15th. The ultrasound tech reassured us that she couldn't see anything wrong other than the stomach being on the smaller side. Once Dr. Weeks came in, he took another look and was able to see the best view of Knox's stomach he's seen since we started this process with the specialists. He told us that if he had seen this view during our first appointment with him, then we would have never come back for any follow up appointments. He stated that every human is different and Knox may just have a different size and shape stomach than others. Dr. Weeks thinks we can go from here with a normal delivery with my own doctor. He went ahead and scheduled an appointment with the neonatologist as a precaution- in the event anything arises after Knox is born. This past Tuesday, we met with a neonatologist and he discussed the different type of t...