As most of you may know, I moved on to a new job back in September. It's been quite the humbling experience in many ways. Not the same type of humbling experience I received in my work at the Village, but humbling nonetheless. Before starting my new job as a Tanning Specialist, I remember having a conversation with my step dad over the phone. It was the day before we were to head up to Indiana for my sister-in-law's labor and delivery and four days before I was to start at Fusion. I'd been having doubts already on my own about whether I was making the "right" decision in moving on from the Village, but this was the icing on the cake. I misunderstood a statement my step dad made... he said something to the effect of "man, working at a tanning salon with a four year degree." I took this statement to heart and heard him calling me a failure for not using my degree. The next day, he apologized because he realized why I was so upset and it turns out that he was only referring to the failed economy and not a failure on my part. (I tear up even writing this). I was so caught up in thinking everyone around me would think of me as a failure-- my husband, my family, my friends, former coworkers, the adolescents I used to work with (if they knew what I was moving on to do), etc that I wasn't able to see or hear anything else. I'm not making as much money as I was as a Senior Program Counselor, nor do I have a benefits package, or the most glorious hours, but it's not about that. I've always known that I wouldn't choose what type of job I had based on the money I'd make, but I see how Satan can twist things and make me forget the important things and think like the world does about money. Instead, I see how God is opening up opportunities for me to share with some of the young girls I work with, I'm able to get up in the morning and have tea, pray, and read my Bible, and I'm able to be more joyful in this job. Granted, I do wish I had more time with my husband (right now we have pretty much opposite schedules and no real time for dating at the moment). Despite the opposite schedules, I do have every Sunday off and Brent and I have been watching lots of Parenthood into the wee hours of the night (despite him having to be up early for grad school). I appreciate him. Even with the opposite schedules I think we're both being more intentional about the time we do have together. <3
A year ago, I was at Piedmont Fayette Hospital, recovering from surgery. I want to record these events as a reminder of why it is important for me to take care of my body, and hopefully help someone else realize the same before their own health issues become a problem. The new year had just begun, and I'd gone out for coffee earlier in the evening. I'd received some unexpected news, and went to bed not too long after returning home. Soon after getting in bed, I suddenly couldn't get comfortable. I was having pains in my back and right side that were worse than labor pains. This very thing had happened a few times before, but it usually subsided the next morning on those previous occasions. I went downstairs to the couch in an effort to avoid waking everyone. I didn't get any sleep, and I spent much of the night in the bathroom, either getting sick or trying to relieve my pain. I was still in tears once Brent and the kids woke up the next morning. I explained to Brent ...
First off, I love Parenthood, it makes me cry everytime... and Second, and on a much more serious note, I am endlessly proud of you, because you serve with your life and your spirit. I am glad that if having a job that is different allows you to rest and be the great listener and woman that you are, then it is worth it. And you have to do what you have to do to support your family, but your ministry was never limited to the job that you held. You ministered to me most when you worked at VS and on housekeeping ;)
ReplyDeleteThis brought me to tears... in the most positive way. I speak for myself and I'm sure many others. You my angel are far from a failure. You have taken your gifts and are utilizing them in every walk of your life. It is so hard to look at ourselves sometimes and see the good. But my child, please stand in front of that mirror proud! You and Brent are making a marriage work!! That's What it is about!
ReplyDeleteYou know what's funny? I was pregnant when I wrote this and I had no clue yet!!! :D
ReplyDelete