Skip to main content

My Scars

I've been thinking a lot about my previous job here lately (as you could probably tell from my blog posts). I don't think I could ever describe my work to anyone who hasn't worked at The Village and do it any justice. I worked at a residential treatment facility for teens suffering from substance abuse, sexual abuse, and behavioral disorders (among several other entities). I was basically a caretaker (or mom, if you will) to 5-18 girls.

One of the downsides to working there was feeling so alone and conflicted-- wanting to help these adolescents fight for a better life for themselves and yet feeling so discouraged as I spoke with entitled teens who didn't care what I had to offer them.

I have had my hair pulled out, been spat upon, laughed at, punched in the face, and had a chair thrown at me (among others). I'd say I left having the better end of the stick compared to some of my coworkers and even those who worked there before I did.

I can't help but think of how Jesus must have felt while he was here on earth. He was treated even more lowly than I can even imagine and how dare I say that I felt so defeated and uncared for when I worked at the Village? This job wasn't about me, it was about trying to show these girls a new way of life without drugs or alcohol, a worthwhile life where they could see that they were cared for and had the ability to live a full life. Christ gives us that opportunity, and yet we treated (and sometimes still treat) him like dirt. He was spat upon, laughed at, and killed on a cross-- all for us.

Today, I'm reminded of my time at the Village with the scar I have on my right shin that is still there almost 9 months later (even after physical therapy). I don't think it will ever go away. My scar bothered me in the beginning, and still does on occasion, but I can at least be grateful that it wasn't worse. My Savior endured much more so that I can have an eternal life with Him. My scars are nothing compared to Him.

Comments

  1. Wow.... God bless my daughter and the lives of those I'm positive you touched in someway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A taste of the heart of Christ is not to be taken lightly. God Bless you my daughter. Oh, ur momma already said that... Well, same goes fo me. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tales of a Dysfunctional Gallbladder

A year ago, I was at Piedmont Fayette Hospital, recovering from surgery. I want to record these events as a reminder of why it is important for me to take care of my body, and hopefully help someone else realize the same before their own health issues become a problem. The new year had just begun, and I'd gone out for coffee earlier in the evening. I'd received some unexpected news, and went to bed not too long after returning home. Soon after getting in bed, I suddenly couldn't get comfortable. I was having pains in my back and right side that were worse than labor pains. This very thing had happened a few times before, but it usually subsided the next morning on those previous occasions. I went downstairs to the couch in an effort to avoid waking everyone. I didn't get any sleep, and I spent much of the night in the bathroom, either getting sick or trying to relieve my pain. I was still in tears once Brent and the kids woke up the next morning. I explained to Brent ...

A Year of Unexpected Surprises

In looking back on this year, I've dubbed it as the year of unexpected surprises. Some of these surprises have been good, others weren't, while still others were somewhere between. I've intended to write down and process each of these, but I haven't gotten around to it. I will start here with the most recent unexpected surprise. My second-born started Kindergarten this year, so I now have two in school! We've had to adjust to a new schedule as there are a couple more subjects in 1st Grade, and then simply adding another child into the schooling mix is a big change! Add in the new and frequent sibling fighting, and it has been a challenge in starting this new year. I *think* we've finally found some sort of a groove and schedule, but time will really tell. Recently, Owen's Kindergarten teacher stepped down as his teacher in order to take on a different job. As a result, the kindergartners are now in the 1st Grade classroom with Ella's class and teache...

More News on Knox

For those of you who have been praying and keeping up with any news about Knox, we have an update. We had another ultrasound last Friday, May 15th. The ultrasound tech reassured us that she couldn't see anything wrong other than the stomach being on the smaller side. Once Dr. Weeks came in, he took another look and was able to see the best view of Knox's stomach he's seen since we started this process with the specialists. He told us that if he had seen this view during our first appointment with him, then we would have never come back for any follow up appointments. He stated that every human is different and Knox may just have a different size and shape stomach than others. Dr. Weeks thinks we can go from here with a normal delivery with my own doctor. He went ahead and scheduled an appointment with the neonatologist as a precaution- in the event anything arises after Knox is born. This past Tuesday, we met with a neonatologist and he discussed the different type of t...