On April 28th, we had our specialist ultrasound, and we really don't have any more answers. The ultrasound tech was able to see Knox's stomach, but it is still really small. His stomach was more visible than it has been in previous ultrasounds. Seeing that brought a glimmer of hope.
However, Dr. Weeks came in later and let us know that his stomach is still small and it isn't the normal cashew shape they like to see. The doctor used the word "stumped" and said he doesn't have any more info. He said everything else looks perfect. Usually with esophageal atresia, they would see other signs in addition to the small stomach. For instance, my amniotic fluid levels should be really high as a result of him not being able to swallow, but my levels are normal. Fortunately, the absence of other markers probably means there is not an underlying genetic issue, but we won't know anything with certainty until Knox is born.
However, Dr. Weeks came in later and let us know that his stomach is still small and it isn't the normal cashew shape they like to see. The doctor used the word "stumped" and said he doesn't have any more info. He said everything else looks perfect. Usually with esophageal atresia, they would see other signs in addition to the small stomach. For instance, my amniotic fluid levels should be really high as a result of him not being able to swallow, but my levels are normal. Fortunately, the absence of other markers probably means there is not an underlying genetic issue, but we won't know anything with certainty until Knox is born.
I have been in somewhat of a rut since all of this began. I haven't wanted to move forward with preparing for Knox's arrival because of the possibility of surgery and a long stay in the NICU. I'm having a hard time getting myself motivated. All of the stress of the unknown is taking its toll and I find myself feeling lonely. I miss a lot of my family members and friends and wish I could travel with the kids to see them, but I can't take the chance because there's a possibility of preterm labor if Knox does in fact have EA/TEF. A lot of pity parties on my part lately, but my desire is to be here for my husband and my kids and enjoy these last few weeks before we become a family of six and have to figure out our new normal. Please pray that I can be more positive, present and prepared.
I had my regular check up this morning with my OB, and she let me know that Dr. Weeks loosely diagnosed Knox with Fetal Tracheoesophageal Fistula (TEF) based on what little they know at this point. She also let me know the doctors and surgeons had a panel discussion on our particular case, and the surgeons would feel more comfortable with me delivering at the Norton Downtown hospital. My concern is getting to the hospital in time. Norton Suburban is a little closer to our house and with traffic, it could take a while to even make it there. She assured me that even if I have to deliver at Suburban, they could stabilize Knox and transfer him downtown. They could also speed up my discharge as long as everything goes smoothly during delivery and recovery- I'd only be away from him 24 hours then. I don't want to be away from him, but I also don't want to deliver a baby on the side of the road.
All of the possibilities can make your head spin, and I wish there was a clear cut plan. Hopefully, we will be able to make more of a plan after our next ultrasound with the specialist on May 15th.
We appreciate all of you who have taken time to pray for Knox and our family. Please continue praying for Knox- pray for his body to develop and grow, pray for him to be healthy when he's born, pray he doesn't require surgery when he's born, pray his stomach grows and stumps the doctors even more.
Thank you again.
Comments
Post a Comment