Skip to main content

Frantic, Messy, & Beautiful - Lana's Birth Story

I know that I've said it before, but I enjoy being pregnant very much- even when I'm running to the bathroom with morning sickness or aching with pain as I'm chasing my other little ones around and playing all day. It is an experience unlike any other. Even though we hadn't planned on becoming pregnant so soon after having Owen, we were thrilled to add another baby to our family.

When I first became pregnant with Lana, I had been dealing with lots of anxiety. It was to the point where I was unable to sleep at night. Becoming pregnant made me so exhausted, and it forced me to sleep as soon as I laid my head on my pillow. I prayed to be released of my extreme anxiety, but I didn't know that the answer to my prayers would bring Lana. What a sweet sweet surprise.

Lana's birth story begins a bit before her actual due date. I had my routine doctor appointment on Thursday, September 26th and measured at 2 and a half cm. A week later, on October 3rd, I measured 3 cm and 70% effaced. I lost part of the cervical mucus on October 8th and with my other two babies, I was in labor 4 days after that happened. Even though I know that each pregnancy is completely different, I still thought lots of similarities would ensue.

Wrong.

4 days passed and nothing.

I went to the doctor again for my weekly check up on October 10th and measured 4 cm and 70% effaced. I knew that I could possibly be 4 cm for a while, but still deep down I was a bit worried about how fast things could progress since I hadn't really felt a lot of contractions. The plan at this point was for Brent's dad to drive down on Monday to be available to take care of our two oldest babies once I went into labor.

Friday morning came, and I began having some regular contractions as I was folding laundry. Owen was napping and Ella was playing and coming to check on me every now and then. I didn't want to panic so I didn't even time them. Haha. I finally called Brent after a little over an hour to let him know. After talking with him, I told him I'd lay down and time them and report back to him. They ended up getting more irregular, but Brent decided to go ahead and work from home that afternoon. I was relieved he'd be home just in case. He called his dad and ended up having him go ahead and drive down the same day.  As a side note, as soon as Brent got home from work, he got a call with a job offer from Humana, which would end up playing a large role in Lana's first weeks.  That evening, I took the kids out to do sidewalk chalk and I could barely stand I was in so much pain. Our neighbors came over to join in on sidewalk chalk fun too! I thought that labor would start soon, but then the pain just abruptly ended later that night.

The weekend came and went and Brent had to go back to work on Monday. Don and I took the kids to the park and had a picnic on Arlington's square.

More on the job offer and possibility of moving: after lots of thought, prayer, and discussions with those we love, we made the decision on Wednesday night to move to Louisville. Brent accepted the new position with Humana the following morning.

Friday, October 18th, I began having contractions again in the evening and they were getting stronger as time went on. We decided it would be best to go to the hospital and walk around to make sure they were the real thing. We left the kids with Grandpa and gathered our bags and set out for what would hopefully be the day our daughter was born. Brent hoped it would be a good night of TV while we were in the hospital. On that night, it would be Last Man Standing and Shark Tank. He was so excited because if this was true labor, then we'd have another show to watch on Sunday night too. Haha!

We walked around a while, and I kept having contractions, but they weren't getting any more painful and they stayed in the front of my body. I kept thinking that I needed to feel something in my back as well. We got hungry and had Jimmy Johns deliver yummy subs ( and a pickle!) to the lobby. They really are freaky fast! ;)

After lots of discussion, we finally decided to go ahead and check in at the front desk and at least have them check me and decide whether I needed to be monitored or go home. I just didn't want the nurses to look at me like I was crazy-- this was my third child and I still wasn't sure if I was in real labor or not.

I got my bracelet and the receptionist told me that the Triage Nurse would be out shortly to take me back. Well, we sat there for an eternity and no one ever came. The waiting room had lots of people and we saw a couple families receive word of their baby's arrival. I went and asked the receptionist about the wait and just told her I was going to go home since my contractions stopped again. She told me to wait and that she'd have a nurse out right away. Apparently there were several women giving birth that night and there weren't any rooms available. This practically new women's center was to full capacity! The nurse came out and talked to me about my contractions. I told her why I was concerned- being dilated and unsure of real labor or not. She said it was up to me about whether I waited for a room or just went home or stayed somewhere close by. We decided to go ahead and go home. I just wanted to sleep at this point, but I was still a little disappointed that we drove to the hospital. Praise the Lord that I didn't actually go into labor that night! I would have had to deliver on the floor or something. (Side note: they were still talking about this crazy night of births when I delivered several days later.)

I was beginning to feel like Lana would never come. I felt a little bad that Brent's dad drove down so early, but I was ever so grateful to have him helping with Ella and Owen. I did begin to feel a bit like a watched pot between Brent and Don.... haha! Every twinge I made, I could feel the look and the question coming- "do you feel anything?" It was definitely comical and makes me laugh thinking about it now (but it annoyed the hell out of me then).

My form of nesting this pregnancy was crafting. Even though I knew we'd be moving, I wanted to make our house pretty and homey for Lana's arrival. And I love fall home decor!

Lana was due October 21st. Well, my due date came and went without any laboring action. It was weird to make it to my due date since Ella and Owen both came a few days early.

I really dreaded going to my weekly doctor appointment that upcoming Thursday. I didn't want to have to pack up the kids and my doctor was going to be in Disney World. We had so much going on with getting ready for our move and getting the house on the market that I just wanted to stay home and spend time with my babies.

Thursday, October 24, 2013: The day of my weekly appointment to see how much I'd progressed and the day our realtor was coming to see the house and discuss our options. Brent came home from work and met with a realtor about listing our house while Don, the kids, and I headed out the door for my appointment.

Don ended up taking the kids to get lunch at Chick-fil-A and would meet up with me after I was done.

I was seen by a different doctor this time and the nurse takes me back to this huge examination room. HUGE! Why in the world has this OB/GYN group not told me about this room? I always struggled to get the double stroller into the bathroom to leave a urine sample and then I struggled to get the double stroller  into the actual exam room which was teeny tiny.  I had to constantly move Owen's hands from grabbing everything while I sat on the table undressed waiting for my doctor at every appointment. So here I am sitting in this huge room and I didn't even have the stroller because I was kid free. And I wouldn't ever be able to make use of this discovery because we were moving to Louisville, KY! Haha!

The nurse handed me a slip of paper with my induction date set for the following Monday. (I didn't want to be induced, but they advocated inductions and getting them on the schedule.) Tears formed in my eyes because I really didn't want an induction, but it looked more like it might happen. Dr. Page eventually arrived and told me that I was 7 cm dilated and I needed to head to the hospital.  What!?  If labor did not start on its own, they were going to induce me that afternoon.

I started crying hysterically and she asked me what was wrong, I told her there was a lot going on right now. She then asked me if everything was alright at home with me and my husband and I started laughing.  (I laughed because she acted as though I had suffered some sort of abuse at home). Then I let her in on the craziness of us moving to Kentucky right after having a baby to be closer to some of our family and with a look of relief she said, "Oh, I see, honey."

I called Brent to let him know this was the real deal. It was perfect timing as he was done with the meeting with the realtor and almost back at work- which wasn't too far away. We were going to have a baby that day! No more waiting!

 As I walked to check out, everyone congratulated me. Dr. Lee stopped me to introduce herself since she would likely be the one who delivered Lana. I shook her hand and then spoke to the receptionist. She wanted to schedule my postpartum appointment (she wanted to do what? I'm ready to head to the hospital people!)  I told her there was no need as we would be in Louisville. (still haven't had my checkup at 5 months postpartum- might need to do that.)

I went out to the parking lot to find Don, and he was nowhere in sight. I had a twinge of panic, but calmed down and called his cell. No answer. I called Brent to let him know that I couldn't find his Dad or get a hold of him. Brent told me he would call him while I called my Mom and Dad.

I called my Momma while I paced the lobby of the medical building. I told her what was going on and as I paced, I felt some contractions begin. I went outside again to see if I saw Don and the kids. Nope. I walked back in, got off the phone with my Mom, and called Don again. No answer. I started to panic. I called Brent and my pain became a little stronger. I decided to go sit down in the doctor's office waiting room. There were enough nurses and doctors around if I needed to deliver my baby, right? I waited to hear back from Brent and after waiting a little while, finally found out that Don had been in the parking lot the whole time, but in a different spot than we initially parked. Whew.

I went outside and Don had pulled around to pick me up outside the entrance. I was hungry and wanted Chick-fil-A, so I asked Don to swing by there before heading to the hospital. I quickly changed my mind since it was the opposite direction of the hospital.

I called my Dad as we drove down the road. Oh, how I wish my family could have been there.

Brent called as he was grabbing lunch and asked if I wanted anything. Yes! Please get me food! He brought me Wendy's and ice water! I was afraid of getting sick while laboring, but oh so hungry. I don't know why it didn't bother me that he was stopping for food when we were getting ready to have a baby. I guess it was since I didn't have too much pain at that point.

We pulled in front of the women's center at the hospital and waited on Brent to get there before I got out. I tried to explain to Ella and Owen what was going on and how they were going home with Grandpa and Mommy and Daddy would stay at the hospital.

Brent arrived and I went to give the kids kisses before going inside. I went to Ella first and she refused to kiss me. I began to get teary eyed. I gave up and tried to give Owen kisses too. He copied big sister and put up a fight. I stole one from him, but still had my feelings hurt. I had to remind myself that they had no idea what was happening.

We went inside and I told Brent I wanted to eat my food before we checked in because I knew they wouldn't let me have it if I tried to bring it with me. I ate my Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger and a few chicken nuggets while I sipped on my ice cold water. Brent paced and called my Momma while I ate. Then he went to the bathroom and I felt as though he was gone forever! I started to get anxious about checking in and started to regret my decision to eat.

After we arrived at the receptionist desk and signed the paperwork, the nurse came out rather quickly. Things were already looking up since the last time we were at the hospital! I remember the nurse, receptionist and Brent made some sort of joke that had all of us laughing. Not exactly sure what it was, but I wish I could remember it now.

Y'all- my nurse's name was Brittany. I don't know why, but that made me happy. As we made the long walk to my delivery room at the back of the hospital, my nurse asked me several questions about my medical history and such. Now, the past two times I delivered at this hospital, the nurse would take me into the room, and leave Brent in the hall and make sure he was truly allowed to be with me. My nurse didn't do that this time and I was surprised.

In my birthplan, I explained that I didn't want Pitocin, I wanted to walk around, and I wanted intermittent monitoring. My nurse seemed willing to work with me. She had to get permission from the doctor to clear these things. Once she came back, she told me I was able to walk around after some monitoring.

A nurse came in and went ahead and did my IV, which was the best experience I've had with an IV to date. I wasn't contracting yet and she got it in on the first try! Now that is a good nurse!

I wanted to do this labor and delivery without an epidural. I wanted to actually successfully complete this goal.

We checked in a little after 12:30 pm. After the IV and some monitoring, we were able to walk around the halls in an effort to get the contractions started. As we wheeled the IV pole around the halls, we just so happened to pass my previous doctor (the man who delivered Ella- it wasn't a great experience with him). He was talking to the nurses at the desk and we heard him tell these ladies that he "hardly ever has any tears." (and with his strong Southern accent, imagine the word "tears" pronounced like "Leias," as in Princess Leia.) Lol! We could hardly contain our laughter- especially since I was one of those who messed up his record. You can go back and read all about that in Ella's birth story. (Also, I think his stats are a bit skewed as he pushed episiotomies on his patients.)

Once we were back in our room for more monitoring, the nurse said that the doctor wanted to start the Pitocin if labor didn't start on its own within an hour. I knew it was going to be a fight, but I was disappointed that the doctor had already started pressuring us. My nurse, however, had our back. She suggested we try nipple stimulation as it produced the oxytocin hormone naturally. After the suggestion, Brent told her to be sure to knock the next time she came to check on me. Haha!

Some contractions started, but nothing consistent. The doctor pushed a bit more with the Pitocin and wanted to go ahead and break my water. I was hesitant to have the doctor come in and break my water because I was unsure of what would happen and I just wanted everything to happen on its own. Also, I knew that after the water was broken, my pain level could be extreme. I wanted to ease into the pain, not get a full blast all at once!

I had to go to the bathroom- which translated into unplugging all of the monitors and wheeling the IV into the bathroom with me. Brent followed to provide assistance as needed. As I was about to wash my hands, the IV machine started beeping. Brent became impatient and joked that my time was up as he started wheeling the IV machine back toward my room (with me still attached!). I told him I would be washing my hands and proceeded to do just that. Afterward, I started fixing my hair in the mirror. Brent laughed and said, "You're having a baby, not going to the prom."  He was full of jokes that day and kept me laughing. I really love that about this birth story.

After the nurse explained the procedure for breaking the water and Brent's encouragement that having my water broken would be a better alternative than being hooked up to the Pitocin, I decided to let them break my water. Dr. Lee (not the same Dr. Lee I told you about before, this Dr. Lee was a male and he was the attending physician on the floor) came in to break my water around 3:30pm that afternoon.  For a while, I worried that I had made a bad decision instead of letting everything progress on its own.  I hate that I felt pressured to make a decision like this, but I am grateful that everything turned out the way it did.

It wasn't 15 minutes later and my contractions began. Boy did the contractions become strong! We used the breathing techniques, I imagined myself at the beach- taking in the ocean and breeze (this only worked once for me, but that one time was amazing- it felt so real), I prayed, and I eventually begged Brent to get the nurse back in the room and order an epidural. He was strong and tried to encourage me to go on without the epidural. It was so painful and began coming so close together that I didn't have any time to catch my breath before the next contraction arrived. I was so uncomfortable in the bed. I wanted out of the bed, but I couldn't move enough to do that.

I cried, I moaned, I yelled, I begged, I cried some more. I eventually convinced Brent that I really wanted the epidural. The nurse came in and told me that I was at 8 cm. She also said that once I received the epidural, labor would likely speed up and delivery would follow closely thereafter from bending over as the epidural is completed. First, I thought epidurals weren't given after 7 cm, so I was surprised that they went through with it. Second, I don't think I quite understood what she was saying to me or else I wouldn't have gone through with the epidural process. She was telling me that the epidural may not have enough time to take effect because of how far I had already progressed, but I didn't get the hint.

The anesthesiologist came in shortly after this conversation went down, a lot more quickly than any other time I'd had an epidural. I needed lots of help getting up into the sitting position required. I remember being a bit delirious and unable to move my body, I felt nauseous on top of the contracting.
The anesthesiologist was a female, and I'd only dealt with males the past two years. She was in a hurry. I wanted to yell at her when she hit my nerve and made everything on my left side twinge in pain. It felt like I had a mini fire in my nerves up and down my left leg. Even though this happened, I couldn't open my mouth to say I was in pain because of my contractions and my deep concentration on controlling that pain. I heard the nurse and Brent asking questions to see how I was doing, but I could only mumble.

I dug my elbows harder and harder into my thighs with every contraction. Then the anesthesiologist kept trying to find where the epidural belonged. I lost it when she answered her cell phone while trying to put the epidural in. I was fuming. I think I said something at that moment or at least I thought about saying something. Then another doctor came in and talked to her while she worked on me. It was an eternity that I sat on the side of the bed, leaning on Brent and my nurse, Brittany. Finally, she got the thing in. I could lay down and kiss the pain goodbye.

Nope.

My nurse laid me down flat, and I kept crying and moaning because it wasn't working. They told me it was going to take some time. I asked how long because with my other two, it didn't take this long for it to work. I attempted breathing through the contractions, and I just kept saying, "I can't do this" and "why isn't it working?"

I began yelling as the pain increased. I told my nurse, "I feel like I have to poop and I can't stop!" (embarrassing, I know.) She looked at me panicked and told me to hang on while she ran out of the room to find the doctor. I couldn't hang on- this was the worst pain in the world.  I realized Lana was coming. She was ready. There was no waiting.

While Brent and I were alone in the room, I began shouting, "She's coming, and I can't stop!"

The nurse ran back in and told me, "Just don't push.  Don't push.  The on-call doctor is coming."

I kept saying, "She's coming, and I can't stop!"

My nurse said, "Hang on!  The doctor's almost here.  Whatever you do, don't push.  Try to close your legs."

She really said that. Haha!

I thought, "Are you crazy!"  I yelled, "I can't!! She's coming!"

The ring of fire is seriously no joke.

At that moment, the on-call doctor (the same Dr. Lee who broke my water earlier) came in and began putting on his scrubs and those little blue paper boots.  I asked why no one was helping me and yelled, "She's coming!" Suddenly everyone was frantic. Lana slid out half way onto the table in one push.  The doctor was trying to finish putting on his boots while hopping to the table on one foot. Brent whispered to me, "She's here.  Brittany, she's here!"

I asked, "What do you mean she's here?"  I still felt so much pain, and she wasn't crying. We were worried that something was wrong, especially since the nurse had been so adamant that I shouldn't push. Only later did we realize that she didn't want me to push simply because the doctor hadn't arrived yet.  If we had known that, I would have just pushed anyway and let Brent deliver the baby. With a second push, Lana was completely out and laid on the table for a second before the doctor made it to the table.  I instantly felt so much relief in so many ways. I can't put into words the instant pain relief that I felt.  When the doctor picked Lana up and began to suck the fluid from her mouth and nose, she started to cry, and I felt a huge relief that everything was okay.

The doctor laid her on my chest. Oh, she was gorgeous! She looked just like Owen when he was born except that her little right ear was squished- probably from the way she was laying in the womb. Brent cut the umbilical cord and gave me a kiss. She was finally here in our arms.

Lana Rae was born on October 24, 2013 at 5:46 pm (central time). She weighed 8 lbs 4 oz and measured 20.5 inches long. Perfect in every way. She definitely made an entrance!

As Dr. Lee took care of me and the nurses checked on Lana, I said, "We still have to pay for the epidural, don't we?" He started laughing as he turned to his assistant while pointing at me and said, with a thick Chinese accent, "She so funny! She say such funny things!  She say she still pay for epidural!" I can't help but laugh every time I remember this conversation!

I'm so thankful for Brent's support, encouragement, hand holding, wheeling me into the bathroom, jokes and all of the other things I won't share. It was just me with my hubby by my side while I birthed Lana. There were no stirrups, the birthing table wasn't pulled out, no sterile paper coverings on top of me, just our family (minus the other little ones, I think it may have been a bit much for them to be present). Meanwhile, the doctors and nurses were in the doorway trying to rush over as they gathered their tools and coverings. Most of them were only half-way covered with their blue paper scrubs, if that.

It took roughly two hours of active labor once the contractions began before Lana arrived. I felt every bit of my labor pains and survived to tell the story. All praise goes to God. If I'd been home when my water broke, it would have been difficult to get to the hospital in time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fun Facts- Lana Edition:

Lana arrived 3 days after her due date while Ella and Owen were 3 days early.

As I tried to get Lana to latch on in the delivery room, we found out my nurse was pregnant with her first baby.

Our wedding anniversary and all of our kids' birthdays fall on the same day of the week each year.

There are 12 months between Ella and Owen and there are 15 months between Owen and Lana.

We moved to Louisville, Kentucky when Lana was just 2 weeks old.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Normally, I feel like movies miss the mark on real life happenings, but this delivery felt a lot like some of those birthing scenes you see on TV. Frantic, messy, and beautiful.

Thank you for taking the time to read about how Lana came into this world. There are a lot of details, but I don't want to forget anything.



 
 

                                       



 


























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales of a Dysfunctional Gallbladder

A year ago, I was at Piedmont Fayette Hospital, recovering from surgery. I want to record these events as a reminder of why it is important for me to take care of my body, and hopefully help someone else realize the same before their own health issues become a problem. The new year had just begun, and I'd gone out for coffee earlier in the evening. I'd received some unexpected news, and went to bed not too long after returning home. Soon after getting in bed, I suddenly couldn't get comfortable. I was having pains in my back and right side that were worse than labor pains. This very thing had happened a few times before, but it usually subsided the next morning on those previous occasions. I went downstairs to the couch in an effort to avoid waking everyone. I didn't get any sleep, and I spent much of the night in the bathroom, either getting sick or trying to relieve my pain. I was still in tears once Brent and the kids woke up the next morning. I explained to Brent ...

A Year of Unexpected Surprises

In looking back on this year, I've dubbed it as the year of unexpected surprises. Some of these surprises have been good, others weren't, while still others were somewhere between. I've intended to write down and process each of these, but I haven't gotten around to it. I will start here with the most recent unexpected surprise. My second-born started Kindergarten this year, so I now have two in school! We've had to adjust to a new schedule as there are a couple more subjects in 1st Grade, and then simply adding another child into the schooling mix is a big change! Add in the new and frequent sibling fighting, and it has been a challenge in starting this new year. I *think* we've finally found some sort of a groove and schedule, but time will really tell. Recently, Owen's Kindergarten teacher stepped down as his teacher in order to take on a different job. As a result, the kindergartners are now in the 1st Grade classroom with Ella's class and teache...

More News on Knox

For those of you who have been praying and keeping up with any news about Knox, we have an update. We had another ultrasound last Friday, May 15th. The ultrasound tech reassured us that she couldn't see anything wrong other than the stomach being on the smaller side. Once Dr. Weeks came in, he took another look and was able to see the best view of Knox's stomach he's seen since we started this process with the specialists. He told us that if he had seen this view during our first appointment with him, then we would have never come back for any follow up appointments. He stated that every human is different and Knox may just have a different size and shape stomach than others. Dr. Weeks thinks we can go from here with a normal delivery with my own doctor. He went ahead and scheduled an appointment with the neonatologist as a precaution- in the event anything arises after Knox is born. This past Tuesday, we met with a neonatologist and he discussed the different type of t...