I have been blessed in so many ways this past weekend and at work in the last couple of weeks. I've laughed more than I have in a long time and it feels so good. Playing cards, talking about funny experiences of people talking/walking in their sleep, watching Christmas movies, talking at the Coffee Shop, going to Ye Olde Steakhouse and sitting near an older couple who had on too much perfume and cologne, and scrapbooking makes for a wonderful weekend. :)
At church on Sunday, there was a different set up. There were tables set up instead of the typical rows of chairs. Initially, I was bothered and didn't really want to go into the sanctuary. After the four of us (Brent's parents were in town) found a table and were seated, we were told we needed to move and sit with other people. This made me a little miffed and even more unwilling to participate. Next, Brent was approached and asked if he'd been briefed on what the table leader was supposed to do. This upset me because sometimes it seems as though people always assume Brent and I will happily volunteer for a task (which we don't mind normally- it feels as though it has become an expectation of us, and sometimes this keeps others from stepping up to the plate and being blessed by leading when they wouldn't normally volunteer for such tasks.)
As the service went on, each and every song we offered in worship a) made me cry; b) spoke measures of the love God has for us; c) reminded me how small I really am and how gracious our God is; and d) gave me assurance of God's provision.
At the Cross was among these songs...
Oh Lord You’ve searched me
You know my way
Even when I fail You
I know You love me
Your holy presence
Surrounding me
In every season
I know You love me
I know You love me
At the cross I bow my knee
Where Your blood was shed for me
There’s no greater love than this
You have overcome the grave
Your glory fills the highest place
What can separate me now
You go before me
You shield my way
Your hand upholds me
I know You love me
You tore the veil
You made a way
When You said that it is done
And when the earth fades
Falls from my eyes
And You stand before me
I know You love me
I know You love me
Partaking in communion and prayer with everyone at the table ended up blessing me (funny how that works huh?) I was humbled in this time of remembrance of the death of Christ on the cross.
In working retail, my goal is to serve the customers in a way that shows them Christ. However, I think I'm typically blessed more than my clients. I've had a woman and her husband call the store to make sure I was alright since it was so late and they'd heard weird noises right before they left. I've also had a woman and her daughter stay with me one night when I was by myself. Last night, a woman had a balance due on her account because it didn't go through with the bank. It stated that it was an incorrect card number. After I explained to her that the bank sometimes makes mistakes and that she could just pay in the store, she refused to do this and tried to argue about the situation. She ended up leaving afterward. About 20 minutes later, she came back in and said she wanted to apologize for the way she treated me earlier. It turns out that her bank had just issued her a new credit card and she'd forgotten. She said she's been preoccupied lately because she just found out she has cancer and has to have surgery. She continued to apologize as tears filled her eyes.
At church on Sunday, there was a different set up. There were tables set up instead of the typical rows of chairs. Initially, I was bothered and didn't really want to go into the sanctuary. After the four of us (Brent's parents were in town) found a table and were seated, we were told we needed to move and sit with other people. This made me a little miffed and even more unwilling to participate. Next, Brent was approached and asked if he'd been briefed on what the table leader was supposed to do. This upset me because sometimes it seems as though people always assume Brent and I will happily volunteer for a task (which we don't mind normally- it feels as though it has become an expectation of us, and sometimes this keeps others from stepping up to the plate and being blessed by leading when they wouldn't normally volunteer for such tasks.)
As the service went on, each and every song we offered in worship a) made me cry; b) spoke measures of the love God has for us; c) reminded me how small I really am and how gracious our God is; and d) gave me assurance of God's provision.
At the Cross was among these songs...
Oh Lord You’ve searched me
You know my way
Even when I fail You
I know You love me
Your holy presence
Surrounding me
In every season
I know You love me
I know You love me
At the cross I bow my knee
Where Your blood was shed for me
There’s no greater love than this
You have overcome the grave
Your glory fills the highest place
What can separate me now
You go before me
You shield my way
Your hand upholds me
I know You love me
You tore the veil
You made a way
When You said that it is done
And when the earth fades
Falls from my eyes
And You stand before me
I know You love me
I know You love me
Partaking in communion and prayer with everyone at the table ended up blessing me (funny how that works huh?) I was humbled in this time of remembrance of the death of Christ on the cross.
In working retail, my goal is to serve the customers in a way that shows them Christ. However, I think I'm typically blessed more than my clients. I've had a woman and her husband call the store to make sure I was alright since it was so late and they'd heard weird noises right before they left. I've also had a woman and her daughter stay with me one night when I was by myself. Last night, a woman had a balance due on her account because it didn't go through with the bank. It stated that it was an incorrect card number. After I explained to her that the bank sometimes makes mistakes and that she could just pay in the store, she refused to do this and tried to argue about the situation. She ended up leaving afterward. About 20 minutes later, she came back in and said she wanted to apologize for the way she treated me earlier. It turns out that her bank had just issued her a new credit card and she'd forgotten. She said she's been preoccupied lately because she just found out she has cancer and has to have surgery. She continued to apologize as tears filled her eyes.
Well, darn. Didn't expect that ending.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the service blessed you. . . it was definitely a "high-risk" situation for everyone involved. I'm glad God was able to minister to you. He's kinda funny (and faithful) like that, isn't he?
ReplyDeleteTake the risk, Anj. Sometimes we place our trust in the comfortable routine rather than in the God we profess. Methinks my son and I differ in this regard, but I think sometimes change for the sake of change just might be alright, so we remember where our security truly lies.
ReplyDeleteBritt, this weekend was an incredible blessing to my heart, just being and laughing with you, not to mention a great zinger. ;-)
Wow. I love that the woman came back even when she didn't have to. Now you have a beautiful opportunity to pray for this woman specifically. God is so good!!! I love you baby girl!!!
ReplyDelete