A little more than a week ago, Brent called me to let me know that he'd won tickets to a Memphis Redbirds (a local baseball team for those of you not in this area) game. As soon as he told me, my heart began racing as I thought about trying to find someone to watch our two little ones. We've only had close friends or family watch our kids when we've gone on a date. And the amount of times we've been on a date by ourselves since having kids can be tallied on one hand. In October 2011, Brent's parents stayed with Ella for a short while so we could walk over to the library while they were visiting us at our apartment in Collierville; in February 2012, my mom watched Ella while she was visiting us so we could see a movie; in March 2012, the Linsenbiglers watched Ella while we went to a Brad Paisley concert in Knoxville; and in May 2013, Brent's parents and sister stayed with Ella and Owen so we could go on a date to celebrate our 5th anniversary. We've had our kids stay in the nursery at church and at Moppets for MOPS pretty regularly, but I feel more at ease in those instances because I know that these teachers are put through a screening process and there's always more than one person around. On the one hand, I wanted so badly to go on a date with my husband, while on the other hand, I didn't want to leave my babies with a complete stranger.
First, I asked if anyone in our family or our circle of close friends could travel to watch our babies. I knew that it probably wasn't possible and it just delayed the inevitable search to find a local babysitter. I stumbled across a familiar name on a local fb page and requested her daughter's info to see if she could watch our kids. It seemed like it would work out, but then something came up last minute and she was unable to watch them after all. (However, I should have a babysitter to call on in the future now).
I spent most of the Monday before the baseball game crying because I didn't know what else to do about finding someone so last minute. Then I began resenting everyone who has family around them that they can call on day or night. Nothing personal, I was just sad that I couldn't do the same. I contacted a couple people from the church we'd attended when we first moved here since we'd met with them on several occasions and I felt deep down that I could trust them. I felt so bad asking them so last minute, but I was completely humbled when Kelsie agreed to come all the way from Mississippi and stay with them for us. I am so glad to have reconnected and excited to do some more catching up.
Even though the hard part of tracking down a sitter was complete, I still worried about leaving my kids. My head went through all of the horrible incidents that could occur with leaving our kids- like something happening to us. And then on our way to Memphis, Brent kept adding to my own ideas with the fact that we wouldn't have health insurance until a couple days later. We kept making jokes about how we shouldn't drive to Memphis and just go to Cracker Barrel and then go home. haha. In the end, I'm so glad we took advantage of the suite tickets even if I was worrying about silly things at random moments throughout the night. It was fun to be on the suite level and sit outside in a picnic area that was exclusive to suite guests and photographers. Plus it was "Twosday," so it was $2 hot dogs and soda!
We left the game a little early so we could get home at a decent hour. As we were walking out of the gate, there was a woman who worked there and she was moving a heavy piece of equipment. All of a sudden, (and in slow motion- no kidding!) she fell backward onto the concrete with this heavy thing falling on top of her. Brent saves her by singlehandedly pulling it off of her and I help her to her feet. We asked her if she was alright, and she kept saying she was fine, but I still don't see how that thing didn't crush her legs or how she didn't do any damage to her head.
Thankfully, we made it home safely with some fun stories to tell, and our kids had lots of fun with Kelsie! I need to find some ways to calm my nerves throughout this process so that we can take advantage of more date nights. As much as I enjoy spending time with my kids, I also enjoy spending time alone with Brent.
First, I asked if anyone in our family or our circle of close friends could travel to watch our babies. I knew that it probably wasn't possible and it just delayed the inevitable search to find a local babysitter. I stumbled across a familiar name on a local fb page and requested her daughter's info to see if she could watch our kids. It seemed like it would work out, but then something came up last minute and she was unable to watch them after all. (However, I should have a babysitter to call on in the future now).
I spent most of the Monday before the baseball game crying because I didn't know what else to do about finding someone so last minute. Then I began resenting everyone who has family around them that they can call on day or night. Nothing personal, I was just sad that I couldn't do the same. I contacted a couple people from the church we'd attended when we first moved here since we'd met with them on several occasions and I felt deep down that I could trust them. I felt so bad asking them so last minute, but I was completely humbled when Kelsie agreed to come all the way from Mississippi and stay with them for us. I am so glad to have reconnected and excited to do some more catching up.
Even though the hard part of tracking down a sitter was complete, I still worried about leaving my kids. My head went through all of the horrible incidents that could occur with leaving our kids- like something happening to us. And then on our way to Memphis, Brent kept adding to my own ideas with the fact that we wouldn't have health insurance until a couple days later. We kept making jokes about how we shouldn't drive to Memphis and just go to Cracker Barrel and then go home. haha. In the end, I'm so glad we took advantage of the suite tickets even if I was worrying about silly things at random moments throughout the night. It was fun to be on the suite level and sit outside in a picnic area that was exclusive to suite guests and photographers. Plus it was "Twosday," so it was $2 hot dogs and soda!
We left the game a little early so we could get home at a decent hour. As we were walking out of the gate, there was a woman who worked there and she was moving a heavy piece of equipment. All of a sudden, (and in slow motion- no kidding!) she fell backward onto the concrete with this heavy thing falling on top of her. Brent saves her by singlehandedly pulling it off of her and I help her to her feet. We asked her if she was alright, and she kept saying she was fine, but I still don't see how that thing didn't crush her legs or how she didn't do any damage to her head.
Thankfully, we made it home safely with some fun stories to tell, and our kids had lots of fun with Kelsie! I need to find some ways to calm my nerves throughout this process so that we can take advantage of more date nights. As much as I enjoy spending time with my kids, I also enjoy spending time alone with Brent.
Comments
Post a Comment