Skip to main content

Ella's First Month

My baby is a month old today! She's already growing way too fast. Here's a summary of what's been going on in the Bradley household upon welcoming our little Ella Rose. Upon bringing her home, Brent's family was there to greet us. Her cousin, Jenna, got to hold her for the first time. It was so cute as Jenna kept telling us that Ella was saying she wanted to play. :)

My dad came to visit us at the end of the week and brought my grandmother to meet her great granddaughter. Ella was happy to see her PawPaw again. :)

Brent was able to stay home with us for a few extra days and I was so grateful. After he went back to work, Brent's mom stayed a couple more days to check in with us during the day and help with things around the house. (So that I could ease into being a full time stay at home mommy.)

At the hospital, Ella had a little trouble latching on as she wasn't opening her mouth wide enough. Since we weren't allowed to hold Ella when her jaundice peaked, I wasn't able to breastfeed for a couple of days. I found this so upsetting because I thought this could possibly hinder our plan to nurse. We rented a pump at the hospital, and I had to pump around the clock if I wanted my milk to still come in. Our first day having her home, we were told to try to breastfeed, but supplement with formula to make sure she was staying hydrated. On the second day, I tried to exclusively breastfeed. Ella would eat for ten minutes and then fell asleep. I was worried she wasn't getting enough food, so I would try to wake her and make her eat for a little while longer. This process made it seem as though all I was doing was nursing. (which is mostly true). At our first doctor's appt., we found out she'd exceeded her birth weight. This meant she was eating well and I didn't have to try to keep her awake as I had been.

Nursing has been such a learning experience for both of us. It's been quite the painful experience as well. I had cracked nipples and an inflamed breast in the beginning. Ella also seemed lazy at times when she was going to latch on, making for time consuming nursing sessions. (she didn't want to do the work, she just wanted the milk-haha). Just as we were getting into our groove, excruciating pain hit. Many nursing sessions were full of tears streaming down my face, screaming upon initial contact, and frustration as the pain would return just when I thought we were past the rough patch.

Brent has played an active role in helping me nurse. He'd help me keep her awake, help me get Ella properly latched on, and rub my back as I sat there wincing in pain. There have been a few obstacles along the way, but Ella's getting the nourishment she needs. Nursing has been such a rewarding experience for me and I praise the Lord that we've been able to continue breastfeeding. I look forward to the day I nurse without pain, but I will continue to push through until then. :)

It's been wonderful as we get to know our daughter and adjust to this new way of life. There have definitely been ups and downs. The exhaustion and new lifestyle make for frustrations and mood swings, but all of it is so worth it. Here are a few things learned in the first weeks as her parents.

Ella's Dislikes: Sponge baths, having her diaper changed, having clothes put on or taken off, being cold, and waiting to eat.

Ella's Likes: Regular baths, having her hair brushed, getting her temple gently rubbed, eating, laying on her right side, snuggling and cuddles, looking at the ceiling fan, the blanket on the back of our couch, getting read to or sung to, having Mommy or Daddy talk to her, being swaddled snug as a bug (Daddy's specialty), and listening to her Daddy play piano.

Mommy's Likes: Ella makes this squeaking noise sometimes while she sleeps that I LOVE, holding my baby girl in my arms, seeing Brent love on his daughter, her grins, her coos, how cute it is when she gets the hiccups after getting upset (usually as a result of a diaper change), having Brent kiss both of his ladies before leaving for work in the morning, her little ears, cute button nose, beautiful lips, bright eyes, I could go on forever.... I just love everything about her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales of a Dysfunctional Gallbladder

A year ago, I was at Piedmont Fayette Hospital, recovering from surgery. I want to record these events as a reminder of why it is important for me to take care of my body, and hopefully help someone else realize the same before their own health issues become a problem. The new year had just begun, and I'd gone out for coffee earlier in the evening. I'd received some unexpected news, and went to bed not too long after returning home. Soon after getting in bed, I suddenly couldn't get comfortable. I was having pains in my back and right side that were worse than labor pains. This very thing had happened a few times before, but it usually subsided the next morning on those previous occasions. I went downstairs to the couch in an effort to avoid waking everyone. I didn't get any sleep, and I spent much of the night in the bathroom, either getting sick or trying to relieve my pain. I was still in tears once Brent and the kids woke up the next morning. I explained to Brent ...

A Year of Unexpected Surprises

In looking back on this year, I've dubbed it as the year of unexpected surprises. Some of these surprises have been good, others weren't, while still others were somewhere between. I've intended to write down and process each of these, but I haven't gotten around to it. I will start here with the most recent unexpected surprise. My second-born started Kindergarten this year, so I now have two in school! We've had to adjust to a new schedule as there are a couple more subjects in 1st Grade, and then simply adding another child into the schooling mix is a big change! Add in the new and frequent sibling fighting, and it has been a challenge in starting this new year. I *think* we've finally found some sort of a groove and schedule, but time will really tell. Recently, Owen's Kindergarten teacher stepped down as his teacher in order to take on a different job. As a result, the kindergartners are now in the 1st Grade classroom with Ella's class and teache...

More News on Knox

For those of you who have been praying and keeping up with any news about Knox, we have an update. We had another ultrasound last Friday, May 15th. The ultrasound tech reassured us that she couldn't see anything wrong other than the stomach being on the smaller side. Once Dr. Weeks came in, he took another look and was able to see the best view of Knox's stomach he's seen since we started this process with the specialists. He told us that if he had seen this view during our first appointment with him, then we would have never come back for any follow up appointments. He stated that every human is different and Knox may just have a different size and shape stomach than others. Dr. Weeks thinks we can go from here with a normal delivery with my own doctor. He went ahead and scheduled an appointment with the neonatologist as a precaution- in the event anything arises after Knox is born. This past Tuesday, we met with a neonatologist and he discussed the different type of t...